I am particularly proud of this card, as it is one of those that actually turned out the way I imagined it. How many times do we all sit down with an idea in our head, and find that what we actually create is completely different??
Hopefully this card demonstrates that Tim Holtz distress inks can actually create a soft and pretty feminine card, and not just the strong ‘grunge’ style that is synonymous with his name.
White smooth coated card stock
White floss card
Cream card stock, 8×8″
Bazzill basics card stock, olive green & a lighter spring green (sorry no names)
Basic Grey paper, Wisteria Collection, muted flower paper, 8×4″
Butterfly and dragonfly stamp by Judikins
Various floral stamps to create background
Tiny dragonfly & flower stamps by Hero Arts
2 eyelets, and 2 ‘bug’ charms
Fabulous Finds Cricut Cartridge
Ranger alcohol inks (sandal, currant, salmon)
Tim Holtz Distress Inks ( bundled sage, crushed olive, broken china, victorian velvet, pumice stone )
- Fold the 8×8″ cream card to make the 8×4″ card base Cut one side of the card to create 2 4×4″ squares, on which to mount the two feature panels.
- Cover the base of the card with the Basic grey patterned paper.
- Cut 2 4×4″ squares from the white smooth card and apply the distress inks to resemble a soft landscape (to both panels). As a base I used pumice stone all over, and the victorian velvet to a centre section. The top half of the panel I worked in the blue broken china, and on the bottom half worked in the bundled sage, ensuring that some of the pink victorian velvet could still be seen. I finished off running the pumice stone (a really useful colour) all round the edges of the card.
- Using the same inks and the various floral stamps I created the meadow effect stamped background. To keep the muted feel, I inked the stamp and lightly blotted it once on scrap paper, before stamping onto the panels.
- Using the large butterfly and dragonfly stamps and the crushed olive distress ink, stamp the images onto a sheet of gloss card that had previously been coloured using alcohol inks. When fully dried, the images were cut out and mounted on the panels, and the wings shaped slighted (with fingers) to create the 3D effect.
- Mat and layer each panel onto the light green bazzil basics card, then again onto the olive (darker) green bazzill.
- Return back to the base card and position it in fron of you (folded) as a landscape card (longest length east to west). Working on each 4×4″ panel separatly and starting with the left panel, lightly drawer a pencil line diagonally from the top right corner to the bottom left. Repeat with the right panel, this time drawing from the top left corner down to the bottom right.
- Take a scoring tool and score along the line and fold crisply with a bone folder.
- With the card laying flat and folded in front of you take one stamped panel, turn once to the left (from the original position) and adhere to the botton triangle scored on the left hand side of the card.
- Repeat with the other stamped panel, turning it once to the right, and adhere to the bottom triangle of the scored panel on the right hand side of the card.
- When you open the easel elements of the card, the images should be in the right orientation.
- Using the fabulous finds cartridge cut the bookplate16 and insert from bazzill basics olive card & smooth coated card respectively, at 1.25″. Create a stamped meadow effect to suit size, using the method from before. Use archival black ink to stamp the sentiment. Stick the elements together and add eyelets.
- Using sticky foam pags stick to the base of the card (on top of the basic grey accent paper)
- Take 2 co-ordinating charms and place with 3D foam in a position that will hold the easels of the card.
I have provided a link to this card on the Make it Monday blog challenge.